Famous Biryani Recipes and Fun Facts You Will Surely Love
Biryani is an Indian dish that is loved by both the young and elderly alike. This traditional evergreen dish is renowned in India and other areas worldwide, including Bangkok.
This well-known rice dish is seasoned with various herbs and spices and sometimes includes meat or vegetables. Depending on the country where it is made, there are different varieties of Biryani.
Definition of Biryani
Biryani is a delicious mixed rice recipe that is great on its own or combined with any Indian curry to enhance the flavour. It became trendy, particularly in the Indian subcontinent. This rich, semi-cooked meal requires practice, patience, and time to prepare, but it is worthwhile.
Using the long-grained rice tastes wonderful when it is flavoured with Indian spices like saffron, bay leaf, cloves, and garam masala and served with chicken, lamb, veggies, or fish dishes in a rich stew. No other recipe in the world compares to the delectability of this dish.
Who Discovered Biryani?
It is derived from the Persian words “Birian,” which means “fried before cooking,” and “Birinj,” which is the Persian term for rice.
It is said that the Muslims have discovered the Biryani in the Indian subcontinent for many years. In later years, it was introduced to the Indians.
Although there are numerous stories about how this dish arrived in India, Muslims usually believe it came from West Asia.
Now that we are all informed of the origins and history of Biryani, get ready because we’re about to reveal some of the most well-known Biryani recipes you will want to be familiar with.
- Calcutta/Kolkata Biryani – This well-known Biryani is made with eggs, potatoes, and occasionally meat marinated in spices, including nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, and cardamom.
- Lucknowi Biryani – It uses the dum pukht technique, in which the meat and gravy are partially cooked before being stacked and served in a handi. This approach is based on Persian cooking.
- Mughlai Biryani – Typically, it is prepared with chicken, curd, ghee, almond paste, dry fruits, and green chillies for a flavorful, rich dish.
- Kalyani Biryani – This Biryani features bits of buffalo meat. It is known as “poor man’s Hyderabadi Biryani” since it contains no expensive ingredients.
- Sindhi Biryani – This variety of Biryani from Pakistan is well-known for its flavour, spice, and tender meat.
Fun Facts about Biryani
- In a survey conducted in 2018, Chicken Biryani is known to be the most ordered dish across every food delivery platform.
- According to the method used for cooking, Biryani is divided into many sub-categories. The cooking pan used to prepare Biryani greatly affects the dish’s flavour.
- In the past, Biryani was prepared in an earthen pot.
- Biryani is the most Googled food in terms of its recipe worldwide.
Biryani is a trendy and beloved dish from India that is enjoyed by people all over the world. It is typically made with rice, spices, and meat or vegetables. No matter what your taste, there is sure to be a Biryani recipe that you will love!
Are you searching for an authentic Indian restaurant in Abbotsford? Veerji serves the best Indian dishes in the area. We also do pickup or delivery. Browse through our menu and place your order now.